Friday 28 February 2014

I have a mad style but I am not crazy –Phyno

Nigeria Informer: Azubuike Chibuzo Nelson got his nickname Phyno from the word Phenomenal. In less than three years of his debut in the industry as a rap artiste, Phyno has been everywhere. In this interview with senior Reporter, Ifeoma Ononye, he speaks on his life, his love for music and his crazy style that fans love

How did you get the name Phyno?
Phyno is my high school nickname. It was gotten from the word ‘phenomenal’. This is because I always liked to stand out back then in school. My friend, Emeka, was the person that first called me phenomenal, and that was the first time I actually heard that word. He said I was phenomenal and from there we started calling him that, because he always used the word a lot. Then he started calling me phyno and that was how the name stuck to me.
Were you singing then?
I’ve always been doing music all my life but it was never serious. I was the kind of student that disturbs the whole class. Not that I would sing, but I had a strong flair for production. I drum on my locker in class and I can’t remember how many times I got punished in class. I have been producing since 2003; and now that I am doing music fully now, I produce all my songs.
When did you decide to come out for the world to see you as a musician?
That was in 2010.
Has music always been what you wanted to do?
At first I wanted to be a pilot. Then my dad felt I was very handy that I could become a doctor. At some point When I was very young; I didn’t know what I wanted. During my secondary school days, my love for music started growing. I started learning how to play drums and piano. I was never a professional in that field of music. The love for music has always been there. When I was younger, I always form my own version of any music I hear. I think I’ve lost that part of me now. I was born to sing like this, I didn’t learn it. It has always been like that for me, and that is how my love for music started growing. I just studied public administration to shut my dad up. I studied at Institute of Management and Technology, IMT, Enugu. From my second year, I was already taking care of myself. Then, my music production had already started paying off. My dad didn’t like it then. It was a problem but now we are like pals.
Some people feel you  rose to stardom fast because you come from a wealthy home; is this true?
Life was never rosy for me. I think I built my life in a way that seeing from afar, you will think I am from a wealthy home because my music production started paying off early for me. There was nothing any boy my age wanted that I could not afford. Not that I came from a wealthy home.
Some of your fans say you are like the king when it comes to Igbo rap, how does that make you feel?
If that is how they see me, shout out to all of them. For me I know my icons. I have people I look up to like Nigga Raw.
You have this crazy style; some people like it while some don’t, have you always had this kind of appearance?
All my life I have always wanted to stand out and that is how the name Phyno came; my Mohawk, the way I wear my glasses, my tattoo. They are just the little things that make me stand out and if people like me for those, then I think it’s working for me. If people like me for the crazy style, I like ‘me’ for that too. I don’t take my time to get the crazy style look. I have a mad style but I am not a crazy person. I like things that suit the personality that I want my fans to see. Like the hair, that is the Mohawk takes my time for it to look this way. But it’s my brand and I have to take care of it because that is who I am. It has a lot to do with the image you want to portray outside. Nothing comes easy, right?
If you were not a musician, would you still wear this hairstyle?
No way. I won’t. The Phyno you are seeing is the artiste, Chibuzo is a regular guy. Chibuzo is the guy that wants to be alone; Phyno is the crazy guy, Phyno has his sane times.
Why do you wear black a lot?
Black is my best colour. I just like black.
Tell us about your tattoo; has it gotten you in trouble with your parents?
About my tattoo, I can only say shout out to my mum. I told her I will make her proud, and this is what I am doing. I know she will be smiling when she reads this interview.
Is there any kind of outfit that we cannot see Phyno wearing?
I am so straight that I cannot wear anything gay.
How do you mean?
I think you know them. I don’t want to list them. I don’t like any outfit that will make me look gay. I am too straight for that.
What of colours that might look gay like baby pink or purple?
I can wear different colours. I don’t think colours make you look gay. There is a way you will match colours and it will look good. If you take a good look at me, you will know I have something special for fashion. I can mix any colour to suit my style. I try not to go wrong about colours. I choose what my stylist does for me.
Why do you cover your beautiful blue eye with glasses all the time?
These blue/gray eyes are for Chibuzo. My eyes are the only part of me that makes me shy, so that is why I cover them.
So you are shy sometimes?
I am human. Anybody can be shy.
Do you also do 1,000 push-ups to keep the six packs?
I don’t think you need to do 1, 000 push-ups to have six parks. I am not trying to go for Olympics or contest for Mr. Nigeria. I do like 30 to 50 everyday, anytime I wake up.
Are you always particular about your appearance before you go on stage?
I ensure I look okay before I go on stage or go for event, because you have to look like the star you are. You don’t know who you will bump into. Not that I really care but what is worth doing is worth doing well.
Do you think of impressing the ladies when you dress up?
First of all, this career is a dress to impress career. Forget what everybody is saying, we all dress to impress. The problem is who you are trying to impress. I like to impress my fans, and ladies happen to be part of my fans.
What fashion item do you spend more on?
My shades and shoes take more money from me. I don’t really believe in designers. Some expensive designers may not look good but the regular stuff does. We all like the hype. Like the Karzal glasses that everybody wears that is very expensive but anytime I wear it, I don’t feel it. But anytime I wear the normal Ray Ban shades, it feels like a super star.
Source: Daily Independentnig

0 comments:

Post a Comment